Monday, April 28, 2008

Final Draft Analysis

Well, I think the Bears did well. We placed 6 guys on the weekend, and I an pretty sure that the kickers will land somewhere too, in free agency.

SC put in 10 guys, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, 7 in the first two rounds. But beyond that crazy level, the Bears had the most drafted in the Pac 10, and the 4th most drafted in all of college football.

So it is not like we didn't have talent.

I also believe that if Nate had come out this year, he would have gone just about where Booty went - 5th or 6th round. He is NFL big, can throw, and although mobility is an issue, he has the excuse of this bum ankle of his. Although, after spring, it seems like he has a good shot at getting the starting gig back in the fall, if he can get his throwing muscle back. Tearing a Pectoral muscle can be a difficult recovery.

I think that if Forsett could have shaved two tenth's of a second off his time, he would have been in the second round. As it was, he was just another one of the 5'8" backs in the lower rounds of the draft, almost falling off the board. I think that the Seahawks got a decent steal - he is a good change of pace back and can do as well there as he did spelling Arrington and Lynch.

Robert Jordan did not get picked, and that is too bad for him. But he will find some work on a football team, maybe in the Arena league, or on a practice squad. He is just too small and not quite as fast as he needs to be for that size.

Mike Gibson landed in Philly - he is a good, versatile lineman, playing both sides on Tackle this year, and will be a guard in the pros. I think that will also help Desean out to have a teammate there with him (not that the WRs and the guards normally hang out together). But I think it has to help to have some anchor to the past with you.

All in all a good draft for the Bears. With Cal putting 5 to 6 in the league every year, that really has to open some recruiting eye over time.

GO BEARS!!

1 comment:

Kaplan said...

FYI... Robert Jordan was signed by the SF 49ers shortly after the draft. I'd look up the source but I'm lazy so you'll have to trust me.