Friday, April 4, 2008

Steve Spurrier following in Tedford's footsteps

Here is a pretty good article about Spurrier sort of giving up play calling duties at South Carolina, on ESPN.Com.

Key comments are that for any head coach now, it is too much to try to keep running everything, as well as trying to be a head coach at the same time.

It is interesting that a very successful coach like Spurrier, who has called his own plays forever, is now transitioning to others. I think this is reflective of the changing nature of the Head Coach job. Bobby Bowden really initiated this, with the Coach as CEO mentality at Florida State. He was the Head Cheerleader, setting the tone, got the talents, but let his coaches coach and the players play. I think in the New Era, Pete Carroll probably does this best. He has done well with other coordinators - he is there to get the talent, provide the leadership, and overall atmosphere of the program.

It is easy when you love to be a planner and a tactician to not want to delegate those responsibilities. But it is just too much for one guy to coach the 100 players on the team. It just does not work. I think that is why so many coordinators are not successful at the Head Coaching gig.

I believe that JT is getting it. He still will be heavily involved, but hopefully can trust the new staff to get the job done. I really think that Cignetti will be the key for him. He is enough like JT that it seems like he will be comfortable with him. It never appeared that JT was comfortable with Dunbar, and that is not a recipe for success.

GO BEARS!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey man,

I couldn't find on email on the site so I guess I'll give my shpiel here. I've started a new Cal sports news site at http://calbearwire.com and I'm using your feed. Obviously, I only take an excerpt and I link right back to the original post so it could only increase your traffic. It's a pretty awesome website and I've worked hard on it. If you like it and want to hook it up with a link, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

You can email me at calbearwire@gmail.com with any questions.

Go bears!

-CalBearWire