Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Further USC thoughts and stuff

1) One thing that really got to me was the 3rd and long at the goal line, when we ran the draw up the middle. Why would we do that? We set it up for the field goal, instead of going for the TD.

I know that Forsett had a great game, but that was not a call expecting to score a TD. That was a call expecting to set up for the field goal. And that was very disappointing to me. I mean, why do it that way? That is now 14 rushes in a row inside the 10 yard line, I believe. There is very clearly something that say to Jeff Tedford that there is NO WAY they are not going to run inside the 10. And I can not for the life of me think what that is.

So far this year, I think we have fumbled twice in those situations. Would throwing a pick be worse than that? I guess they would get it on the 20 instead of the 2, but let's face it, we would have more points to offset the loss of 18 yards twice per year.

It is getting to the point where we can only score on 20+yard run or pass plays into the end zone because our play calling inside the red zone is so predictable. When Tedford first came to Cal, our Redzone offense was something to behold. Now, it is average and getting worse.


2) I really loved the Joe Roth Memorial uniforms. I thought they looked great (much better than some of the other old school throwback stuff I have seen). And, the ENTIRE SET IS FOR SALE! Yes, that's right, folks - you can purchase the uniforms worn in the game by going to here and bidding on the uniforms. It is a great fundraiser idea. I hope they do this on a regular basis. This is your opportunity to own DeSean's helmet from the game which will be worth millions when he is 40 years old. So it is a small price to pay. I only wish that the Bears had won like Joe did his last year.


3) I really do think we have a great program. All of that crap I wrote at the beginning of the season I still believe. I think that the team is great, that the coaches are great, and that we have talent to last for years. The team has lost 4 games on 5 plays. And I do believe that. We very easily could be undefeated, in what is probably the toughest conference. That being said, it is also interesting how quickly a program can fall apart. I do not think the Bears are falling apart. They are not as bad as many think they are, and they are not as good as I thought we were.

The good news to me is that, no one else is anymore, either. USC is not a dominating presence - and booty or Sanchez are not their saviors. ASU is not, either. Oregon is great this year, but we beat them. And next year, they will not have Dixon, who has been spectacular, and will probably win the Heisman. Who would have thought that last year? There is a lot of parity in College Football, and this seasons has seen many of the old stereotypes discredited. Look at Notre Dame - they are crap. The SEC will not have anyone with less than 2 loses at the end of the season - I can very easily see Tennessee winning the championship over LSU in the Championship game. The Big 10 is lousy, the Big East is lousy, and the leaders in the Big 12 are Kansas and Missouri. And who cares about the ACC?

I guess I am crying about what could have been - this was the year that we easily could have won the National Title, and I think if Nate was not injured we would have, or at least come a damn site closer. And if you are the coach, and you know that you have the ability to compete for the big prize with this guy, and probably get there, then it is not unexpected that you stick with him, probably for too long. So that was an error. But in my view, not an unforgivable error. If we went with Kevin Riley, I doubt that we would have won all three of the other loses. He would have had a bad game, and he would have made some mistakes. The world would not have been all sunshine - it would have still rained on Saturday. So I guess what I am saying is that it really is that close in college football - you go the way your QB goes. Dennis Dixon was a bust last year, and will win the Heisman this year. That is a bit of perspective that Bear fans need to think about.

No comments: