Monday, November 26, 2007

Stuff

I spoke too soon - the Bears did get an at large invitation to the NCAA tournament even though they came in third in the MPSF tournament for Water Polo. So we get a shot at the National Championship game. This will take place this weekend. We got back in it by beating Stanford, which was pretty nice. So we came in third in our conference tournament, but got the invitation to the NCAAs over UC Irvine, which beat us but was #5 coming into the tournament.

In any event, it is great to get a shot at the National Championship again. Most likely it will come down to Cal vs USC for the final prize. That will be at Stanford this weekend.

Onto football - Steward Mandel has the Bears projected to play in the Emerald Bowl against Maryland. I think that would be great. First of all, he is assuming we beat Stanfurd. I am assuming that as well, but I have been wrong before this season. But i think that would be great for Cal - we are going into Maryland next year on the road early. That is the kind of game that can freak out a young team. It would be nice for us to have some sort of measuring stick against those guys. I am hoping that JT has whipped the team into shape by December 28th and we could come out and crush those guys. It is essentially a home game for Bears fans (at AT&T Park) and it will help in the early part of next year. I think Bear Fans would be lucky to get that bid. I mean, what else can we hope for?

I do want to mention that Stanfurd lost to Notre Dame. Oregon lost to UCLA, who sucked in victory, in what was by far the worst football game in history. And it is clear that the only thing holding Oregon together the last two years was Dennis Dixon. When he was on last year, they were good. When we went down hill after we beat him, they sucked. When he was hurt this year, they were done. Washington lost to Washington State, whose Coach is most likely getting the boot. I feel confident that next year, there will be 5 teams that we will be better than in the Pac 10. That is an improvement on this year. I also think that our schedule is much easier. So that helps.

Also, after watching a bunch of football and not having to worry about another loss this weekend, I have a new perspective on the Washington game. I think it was just what the doctor ordered. Let's face it - that was the most embarrassing loss in a long time, to Washington, the cellar dwellar. If that doesn't trigger some introspection and ass-kicking, then nothing will. I think we will see a new team. And frankly, I doubt that Tedford lets that happen again. At least I hope so.

I also think that there is something to be said for the lack of competition in practices as the season goes on. USC is better in November because they are constantly making the guys go full speed in practice, even late in the season. I think it is important that when it starts to get cold, and the guys are tired that they go full speed, even at the risk of injury. I think a lot of coaches are somewhat against that - they want their guys fresh. But if you are too tired to practice, you are going to be out muscled in games late in the season. I think the Bears always generally look pretty good in Bowl games (Texas Tech excepted) because that is the time JT lets the younger guys get in there and go full speed in practice. So the really banged up starters get a chance to sit out, but the other guys who are able to practice go up against a guy who want to show what they can do. It makes them better. That is why I think we always tend to slow down at the end of the season. Too much scheming and not enough head knocking. I hope that this weeks practice was all about head knocking.

GO BEARS!!

No comments: