Sunday, November 25, 2007

What I noticed watching the SEC and the Big 12 Play

It was interesting watching football this weekend. First, I noticed what a gambling defense can do. LSU had 8 in the box almost all night, and was totally burned by McFadden, because as soon as he broke through the first level, he was gone . Gregory's defense would not have allowed that to happen, at least with LSUs players. LSU would have won with Gregory as the Defensive Coordinator. That being said, they still did not put enough pressure on the Arkansas QB to make mistakes (when he actually was in there).

It also was interesting to see how mobility at the QB position changed the game for Arkansas. When McFadden was lined up back there, they all knew he was going to run, but they had no ability to stop him many times. Which is why I have been a little confused why we ahve not been lining up Forsett in the backfield later in the season, as we did earlier. It was interesting how Houston Nutt stole the Tim Tebow from Florida with McFadden at QB. I love the power run at the goal line, and then stop and todd it right over the middle to the Tight End.

LSU, the Greatest Team Ever (with 2 losses) was really pretty average this year. They have struggled through games and have won when they offensively have gambled, but the defense has been relatively strong. But they have given up a LOT of big plays. I think that when playing in a run - strong conference like the SEC, it is important to oversell the run. But frankly, it is difficult to play that way and not give up a lot of big plays.

This was also the first time I saw Missouri play. I loved that offense. That is what Cal should look like. If we had Aaron Rogers another year, that is what we would have looked like. Before watching that game, I was sold on McFadden for Heisman. After watching that, I was close to becoming a Chase Daniels for Heisman guy. Both of them were fantastic.

I hope Tedford was at home watching that game.

The other thing I loved was the absolute gutsy-ness of the Missouri attack. Fake field goals to start the game (we never do that!!!) - using the Tight Ends all over the field. This was the year that we had all of the great position guys, but out QB got hurt, was not that mobile to begin with, and the backup was a head case. What those guys had at Missouri is what the TedSpread should have been. Kansas, on the other hand, was more predictable, less gutsy, and therefore lost. The Kansas defense was also less able than Missouri's. But that was a great game and a great educational experience.

Florida is interesting. It is the Tim Tebow show. I do not know what else they have, though. He will also be in NY at the Heisman ceremonies. Those three guys are the guys. If they invite Dixon, or Colt Brennan, it will just be to be nice.

That being said, I am still in the Nate camp. I believe in the guy, and more to the point, I believe that in the Pac 10 a Senior QB is the best weapon that you can have. We have two games to win. I think Nate is probably done with school after this year, and will be pretty focused next year. At least, I hope that is the case. If not, yeah, bring in Riley or Mansion. But get it done early.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a good Holiday. I was thankful that the Bears had a week off after the crapfest of last week.

GO BEARS!!

No comments: