Friday, September 18, 2009

Pretty Nice Saturday

The Bay Area is going to be beautiful this weekend, with temperatures in the 80's around the Bay. A perfect day to sit home and watch the great slate of Pac 10 games that are going to be on all day long.

First, the Bears at Minnesota, starting at 9:00 am. I expect to be halfway through with my first pot of tea a toast when the Bears are up by 21.

Now - I have a dillemma. Soccer for my oldest is at 11:30. I need to be there, I guess, since I am the coach. But I can not figure out if I just leave at halftime and do not listen to Starkey, or come back and watch. I would like to just watch, but my gut tells me that someone will spill the beans anyway.

After that, Arizona vs Iowa. That is a good matchup for the Pac 10, as Iowa is one of the better Big 10 teams. This will be a test to see if Arizona has really turned a corner, or if Stoops is on his way out. Kirk Ferentz is an old friend of Stoops, and so this will be a good natured rivalry. Ferentz just got his new contract. I wonder if Stoops is hoping that makes him a bit soft. Like it did a few years ago after he re-negotiated to a huge deal. I think that Arizona takes it - they are a bit more hungry at this point. That being said, Iowa is not slouch and I would not be surprised to see them blow the wildcat's out. They are kind of a hot and cold team.

At the same time, SC plays the Huskies, with all of the internal machinations that the announcers will be crowing about all game (frankly, I do not think I can watch this game) and Oregon takes on Utah.

I will be paying special attention to the Oregon game, as Utah is no slouch, but the Ducks should take them. Oregon were close last year (actually should have won), and Utah had a much better team then. If Oregon does not win at home, write them off. Barely squeaking by Purdue is not the hallmark of a dominant Ducks team.

Then, Oregon State vs Cincinnatti, at home for the Beavers. Cinci is the real deal offensively, and if the Beavers can hold them defensively, we need to worry a bit about them. This is a good test for both teams. I think if Cinci wins they will definitely be in the top 15, probably about 12. Same for the Beavers. Should be a good game.

UCLA plays slacker Kansas State late in the evening. They barely got by UMass, and lost to Louisiana Lafayette. Ouch!! If UCLA does not win by 40 it is a blowout by K State.

Other games of note this weekend:

Tennessee at Florida - revenge game against the mouth that roared. Expect Florida to win by 30.

Notre Dame against Michigan State. Nice matchup. I have no idea who wins this. I think they are about the same, and I would be surprised if this was a blowout. Should be a nice game.

Florida State at BYU. Good for all the right reasons. BYU has big Mo, and FSU has all of the faded pedigree of a 1950's child star. But they still can bite. It will be a good matchup for BYU,. as FSU does still manage to get a speedy team. And that loss to Miami does not look so bad now that Miami looks so good (but we beat them....).

Nebraska at Virginia Tech. I think Tech takes it but who knows. My assumption is based on the fact that I do not think Nebraska's defense is as good as it should be. They may prove me wrong: Bo Pelini is a good defensive coach. But playing at VA Tech, I do not see them winning this one. I still think they are a top 25 team. Maybe 25. Pretty good after the Callahan era.

West Virgina at Auburn - we will see if either of these also rans are any good

Goergia at Arkansas - I think Arkansas is better than people think. And Georgia probably a little worse. Should be close.

Texas Tech at Texas - two year ago when Tech went to Austin there was a lot of hype, and Tech laid an egg. This year, the hype is all about Texas getting revenge for last year, when Tech kept them out of the NCG. I think the pressure is on Texas. Texas Tech is no slouch, and if they get on a roll, forget it. I am going to take Tech on this one, only because I need either Texas or Florida to lose one this year.

So, of the 12 decent games, half are of the Pac 10 variety. Typical. But the SEC is by far the best conference, because, you know, they play - southeastern Louisiana, and Louisiana lafayette, and eastern Carolina, and the rest of their crap schedule. Oh well.

There is a pretty good matchup tonight - Fresneck against Boise. Boise should cruise, but this is probably the last remaining test for them until their undefeated season is over, so hopefully Fresno State can step up.


GO BEARS!!

No comments: