Sunday, September 9, 2007

Colorado State observations

I'm sure Pat Oski88 will give a more thorough analysis (assuming he found somewhere to watch the game).

I'm in a rush...but I saw some things I liked and somethings I didn't like.

Things I liked:

- Tedford's offensive play calling was fantastic. He always had them off balance. He called all the plays from the sidelines. The defense was confused on almost every play.

- We have two exceptional weapons: DeSean Jackson and Jahvid Best. Even though almost everyone got a carry or a reception, it was good to see us trying to find ways to get the ball in the hands of our two blockbuster players.

- Good defensive adjustment in the second half...particularly by the DLine. Same thing happened against Tennessee. Alualua (sp?) in particular seemed to set up camp in the backfield in the second half. He is no Brandon Mebane or Andre Carter yet...but there were glimmers.

- Punt and kickoff coverage were great. We have become spoiled on punt coverage since our last two punters (Lonie/Larson) have been great at hang time which makes it hard to get a real runback. However, using Jahvid Best as the gunner is fantastic. He is so fast that on every punt he gets there at the same time as the ball. On Kickoffs we are doing okay...though Kay once again kicked one out of bounds. However in the new world of kicking 5 yds back, starting on the 35 isn't so unusual.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE

- Longshore is a very different qb when he is pressured or stressed. He consistently overthrows the ball in those situations. I think Okanes in the CCTimes said it might have had to do with the altitude, but I don't buy it. Arizona is going to be a VERY tough game, because they will put pressure on him. He also seems stressed when Cal is losing...he puts too much pressure on himself and then he makes shitty throws. Once we hit teams with real secondaries, he is going to start throwing picks. My advice is that when he gets stressed, we should put in Riley for a series just to calm him down.

- We couldn't run between the tackles very well. We basically stopped running in the second half. That was okay in this game, because their DBs couldn't cover our guys so the pass was always there...but we will face better DLs this year and that worries me.


Go Bears

1 comment:

Octopus Boy said...

I was not able to watch the game, but giving up two quick passing touchdowns makes me concerned about the secondary. It is often our weakness.