Friday, October 26, 2007

Cal Fan Issues

I have some issues with being a Cal fan.

First of all, I am sure that I lost both of the last two games for the Bears. I wore the wrong socks to both games.

Not only that - I was stupid about it. I wore the wrong socks to the Oregon State game. As soon as I saw Riley making the biggest mistake of his young life, my first thought was - why is he trying to kill me. But I immediately refocused on what I had done to make him that stupid - and clearly it was that i had worn the wrong socks. I knew as I put them on that morning that they were untested in battle. Everything else I had on was undefeated. The socks were new, and that clearly was the difference. I felt bad for letting down the team.

Later in the week, of course, I realized how silly that was. We were still in the picture for the National Championship game, we were still in the hunt for lots of big time bowl games. Really, what could I have done? Nothing. I have nothing to do with it.

So to prove a point, in a game where we were clearly going to win, I wore the same new socks again at UCLA. On purpose. To prove a point to myself.

My agony of being the instrument of death for the Bears this week is, well, unbearable. To all true Cal fans, I apologize. I am going back to my standard Champion costco socks, my Oski Boxers, khaki shorts and Cal Coaches shirt. Note - I rotate all of my hats equally. I would hate to have a hat determine the National Championship game. Socks are bad enough.

Go Bears!!!

No comments: