Saturday, October 6, 2007

What a weekend

Wow - how about them Cardinals?  Face Man Pete couldn't bring himself to cross the field to shake Harbaugh's hand, and the Trojans drop to oblivian in the polls.

For the second week in a row, two of the top 5 lose, and others almost tumble.  LSU almost loses to Florida (looking pretty vulnerable there, LSU - I think Florida wins that game at home).  And South Florida almost loses to Florida Atlantic - who missed three field goals in the first half. 

Meanwhile, Nate's ankle and Zacks stinger get better each day. 

And who is going to win the Heisman?  PJ Hill from Wisconsin?  John David Booty?

I have to say that there are two teams this year that I have seen play that have seemed to play well all year long.  Those teams are Cal and Ohio State.  Ohio State has not been tested, now will they be all year long.  I think that, like every year, LSU stumbles.  I see Cal and Ohio State in the National Championship game.  And if that is the case, I do not think it is even close.  No offense to Ohio State - they are a well coached disciplined team which thrives in the Big Ten.  But they are not built to play against a team like the bears.

Meanwhile, back in the Pac 10, UCLA embarrasses themselves, and in the process, the rest of the conference.  While Stanford was out making like a real football team, UCLA lost to the Brady Bunch.

This is bizarre.  I am not used to being a fan of a team that looks like the best in the land.  But I have the same feelings like I used to have when Joe Montana used to run the 49ers.  There just didn't seem like there was any way they were going to lose each week.  If they needed to they would just grind down the other team, put a big play up, or make a goal line stand - whatever it took.

The further along this season goes, and the more defective other teams show themselves to be, I really think this could be the year.

That being said, I almost hope that Ohio State is voted ahead of us.  That would give the team the incentive to crush everyone else out there.

GO BEARS!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohio State is currently not rated ahead of Cal. They have been playing against relatively weak opponents.

I sure hope that OSU will continue to remain ranked below us.

You're right, UCLA was truly embarassing against ND yesterday.

Oski88 said...

Yes, I posted this Saturday night before the polls came out. I was surprised that USC did not drop more than it did. Also, I was pleased that Ohio State only received 22 of the 65 2nd place votes.

Surprisingly, UCLA received 2 votes in the Coaches poll, and Stanford received 4 - the only 2-3 team to get any votes at all.

It was also nice to see Tennessee win and move up into the AP again. If Cal wins out, we would have beaten 4 top 25 teams. That is pretty good.