Tuesday, October 16, 2007

UCLA Game


I am putting OSU out of my mind.  And, on a rainy Tuesday, the game this weekend seems so much more sunny.

First off, it is interesting that there is currently no line.  I guess no one knows which QB will be playing for either team.  That is kinda fun. 

I am also excited that I will be at the game this weekend.  My buddy comes up from LA each home game, and I travel to the LA game each season.  It is always a fun weekend, although recently it has not turned out as well as we wanted.

Last year was particularly interesting:  Joe Kapp was our guest at the game in the Coliseum.  Wow, what a trip that was.  We got him into the Alumni Tailgate, and he got up and made about a 5 minute speech about the Scrotums, and how we were gonna kick their ass.  Then he gave the "Give me a C" cheer.  I though some of the old lady blues around us were going to faint at his obvious manliness and his colorful language.  A True Bear.  Go Joe.

Anyway, during the game, it was interesting to listen to Joe's commentary about the Bears.  I remember going to the games while Joe was the coach, and watching the continual run up the middle.  I guess we thought we would break one or something.  But I guess it make sense if you used all 4 downs like Joe did.  There was never a 4th down that Joe was not afraid to go for it on.  He had a ton of confidence in the Power of the Bear.  Maybe a little too much.  But, on occasion, he was right - like when we beat the snot out of Elway on his last college game with The Play, or once again beat the snot out of Stanfurd on Joe's last college coached game.  His son is now a Golden Bear, which I can not be more excited about.  With lineage like that on this team, we are sure to at least get a Rose Bowl bid.  In fact, Joe was the last one to bring us to the  Rose Bowl - Maybe we needed a bit more of the Kapp magic to make it back.  i won't say that Joe was critical of the play - calling.  But man, you could tell he wanted to beat those guys at the Coliseum.

Anyway, we lost the game at the Coliseum, but it was a day I will never forget.

This year, I am sure it will be different.  While UCLA is purported to have a great defense, it does not really add up.  They are the same players that we shellacked last year in Memorial.  I feel good about this game, as well as the rest of the season.  This is the year we get that monkey off our back in So Cal.  We won the Holiday Bowl by a lot - we are going to win by a lot this weekend, and we will win again on January 1.

I will be posting my pre-game analysis later - for now..

GO BEARS!!

No comments: